How to Blow Up a Balloon Without Using Air!
plastic water bottle (16.9 oz.)
1. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of vinegar into the bottle.
2. Put about 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the inflated balloon.
3. Stretch the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle, trying not to spill any of the baking soda out.
4. Lift up the balloon and slowly allow the baking soda to empty entirely into the bottle of vinegar.
5. Watch your balloon expand!
A little science behind the experiment: When mixing the two chemicals: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), a base, and vinegar (acetic acid), an acid, you create a chemical reaction, carbon dioxide. Once the carbon dioxide fills the bottle it has no place to go but up into the balloon expanding it as more carbon dioxide is created!